This is a simple and fantastic grilled lamb recipe. It can be made with or without the wine, and marinating is not necessary if you leave out the wine. Our guests raved about this dish! Secret: Costco sells great leg of lamb for $3.99 a pound!
- 4 pounds leg of lamb cut into 1 inch thick steaks (or 4 lbs pre-cut lamb steaks--about 8-10 steaks)
- 4 Tbsp chopped fresh garlic
- 4 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 2/3 cup dry red wine (use a decent bottle)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- If you have a full leg of lamb, trim of fat and cut into 1 inch steaks against the grain. I buy boneless leg of lamb, and find that I usually end up with about 10 steaks of varying sizes, based on the shape of the meat.
- Chop the garlic and rosemary together to form a loose paste. Rub the steaks on both sides with the paste and place in a Pyrex or other shallow bowl. Pour the wine and olive oil over evenly, cover, and marinate for 2 hours or longer. You can refrigerate or leave out.
- Light the grill and pre-heat to medium high. Sprinkle the steaks with salt and pepper and grill. Watch carefully as they may flame. If you cook entirely uncovered, about 6 minutes a side for medium rare. If you cover to reduce flames, about 4 minutes a side. Let the meat rest for about 5 minutes (steaks will continue to cook while resting).
- Serve whole or sliced over Farro, another grain, or potatoes.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 215g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 352||68%|
|Total Fat 39.28g||49%|
|Saturated Fat 12.98g||52%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 2.79g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.8g||3%|