Just in time for Mother’s Day is Grilled French Toast!! This is excellent on its own but is EVEN BETTER when served as a French Toast- Strawberry Shortcake rendition. Now here is an easy recipe that will make people think you are the grilling Goddess!
- Whole Loaf Bread (white, italian, challah- brioche is great too!)
- Eggs (5-6 for the entire loaf)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- cinammon- dash or two
- 2 tbls (or more)milk
- 2 -3 tblsp. Triple Sec, Cointreau, grand marnier or orange juce- optional
- non stick spray
- Additional Ingredients to make a âStrawberry shortcakeâ version:
- 1 pint. strawberries
- 1-2 tbls spoons balsamic vinegar
- 2-3 tblsp sugar or splenda
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- whipped cream, cool whip OR creme fraiche (now that would make it super yummy)
- Before preheating your grill to medium heat, spray non-stick spray on the grates. This will cut down on the bread sticking.
- 1) beat your eggs and add the milk, vanilla, cinammon and optional triple sec to the mixture.
- 2) cut your slices of bread pretty thick because they are going to be going on the grill. Think of the thickness of a NY strip or slightly thicker.. (see pics)
- 3) dip slices in egg mixture and make sure they get good and saturated
- 4) once the grill is good and hot at medium, place your slices on the grill and cook until there are grill marks on one side. Be careful not to burn and then switch sides.
- (at the same time I will cook sausage links or pattys on the grill)
- Strawberry Compote mixture for filling: (make beforehand so it can thicken)
- Mix cut up strawberries with vinegar, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and let sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve the french toast slices with strawberries and whipped creme sandwiched on the inside.
- Copious amounts of powdered sugar, mimosas and bloody marys are encouraged too!
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 518g|
|Calories from Fat 72||14%|
|Total Fat 8.02g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 2.1g||8%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 86.72g||23%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.6g||25%|