Cost per serving $0.92 view details
- 1 lb spinach or possibly Swiss chard
- 1Â 1/2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 x garlic cloves - (to 3) chopped
- 3 x scallions, white and green parts finely minced
- 1 c. cooked pinto beans
- 1 tsp chili pwdr
- Â Â Salt to taste
- Â Â Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- Stem and wash the greens. If you're using chard, make sure to trim the thicker mid-ribs as well. Steam the greens in a tightly covered pot till wilted. The spinach will be done as soon as it wilts, but the chard needs to steam longer. It will be done when it turns a dark green. Drain the greens and finely chop them.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add in the garlic and saute/fry over low heat till it just begins to turn golden brown. Add in the scallions and saute/fry just till they soften a bit. Stir in the greens, beans and seasonings. Cook, covered, over low heat for 5 min, or possibly just till everything is well heated through.
- This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.
- Comments: Try this side with tortilla dishes which do not themselves contain beans, or possibly with a big taco salad.
- Description: "Originally, this Southwestern dish was made by the Pueblo Indians with wild greens. More contemporary recipes call for spinach or possibly chard instead."
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 106g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 35||43%|
|Total Fat 4.0g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 0.58g||2%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 9.13g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.4g||11%|