Cost per recipe $15.96 view details
- 3 bell peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 bunch cilantro, minced
- 1 bunch green onions, minced
- 2 pound tomatillos
- 6 (4 ounce.) cans diced green chilies
- 4 teaspoon oregano
- 4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (you can add in more or possibly leave it out to taste)
- 4 c. water
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 pound grnd turkey or possibly grnd pork, crumbled and cooked (this can be omitted for a vegetarian version)
- 2 pound sm. white beans
- Cook the beans according to the package. When they are cooked, rinse them well in a colander, stirring them up with your hand. This loosens the stems and washes them away. Otherwise, the bean stems break off in the chili and resemble small worms.
- Tomatillos are interesting. They are like little green tomatoes wrapped in brown paper. Take the brown cover off and wash the tomatillos. They are sticky under the brown coating till they are washed. Quarter the washed, peeled tomatillos and put them in a large stew pot.
- Place everything except the meat and beans in the stew pot with the tomatillos and let it all cook till the tomatillos are completely broken down. It should look thick and soupy. You can add in salt and pepper to taste and add in the beans and meat. I like to serve this with red salad and blue corn chips just to be interesting.
- CHRISTMAS CHILI VARIATION: Use canned red kidney beans, about 4 (15 ounce.) cans instead of the white beans.
- VEGETARIAN VARIATION: Just leave out the meat. The taste is just the same; you do not really need the meat for flavor, and if you serve the blue corn chips, or possibly any corn chips or possibly cornbread, it is nutritionally the same as with the meat.
- JUST A NOTE: The ingredients for this cost a lot, but it makes tons of chili. I always end up freezing a lot of it for later or possibly using it as party food.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 3970g|
|Calories from Fat 518||12%|
|Total Fat 58.85g||74%|
|Saturated Fat 13.97g||56%|
|Trans Fat 1.23g|
|Total Carbs 669.8g||179%|
|Dietary Fiber 172.3g||574%|