This is a delicious ethnic variation on classic beef stew. I think the cinnamon gives it a unique and delicious flavor. Adults and kids we have served this to both loved it. I adapted this from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 pounds beef chuck or round, trimmed of surface fat and cut into 1 inch cubes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 large onions, cut into eighths or 20 pearl onions skewered with a toothpick (to hold together)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken, beef, or vegetable stock, 1 cup water, and 1 cup dry red wine, (or 3 cups of whatever mix of these you prefer)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 Iarge potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic
- Minced fresh parsley leaves for garnish
- Heat a large casserole or deep skillet (that can later be covered) over medium-high heat for 2 or 3 minutes; add the oil,
- Add the meat chunks to the skillet a few at a time, turning to brown well on all sides. Do not crowd or they will not brown properly; cook them in batches if necessary. Season the meat with salt and pepper as it cooks.
- When the meat is brown, remove it with a slotted spoon. Add a little more oil if needed and add the onions. Cook, stirring, until they soften, about 6 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Add the stock, water and wine, bay leaf, thyme, cinnamon, cloves, tomato paste, vinegar, and meat, and bring to a boil.
- Using a spatula, scrape all the onions and sauce into a slow cooker. Add the potatoes, carrots, minced garlic and the browned meat. Set to low and cook for 6-10 hours.
- Garnish with parsley and serve over orzo or bulgar pilaf.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 323g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 249||48%|
|Total Fat 27.75g||35%|
|Saturated Fat 8.14g||33%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 17.38g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.4g||11%|