Challah is a great bread. However, I think this recipe has some mistypes. 1/2 cup of sugar is just a bit too much, the bread wont rise properly with this much sugar...it didn't rise at all until I put it in the oven to cook.
Make sure the water is warm (105 to 115 degrees F)
You could also try using 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
Instead of 1/3 cup oil use 1/4 cup vegetable oil
Try using 1 teaspoon plus 1/4 cup sugar instead of 1/2 cup.
I have tried three different challah recipes and the one that turned out the best was using these amounts.
I didnt seperate it into 4 challahs either, I just made one large challah.
The best bread machine challah recipe. A winner every time!
Prep time: 60 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4 Challah
Cost per serving $0.55 view details
- Add all ingredients to bread machine in order written above.
- Set to dough cycle
- When machine beeps, take out dough and separate into twelve even balls
- Make ropes with each ball of dough and braid three together to make challah. Use flour on hands as needed
- Yields 4 challahs
- Let rise 1 hour
- Brush with beaten egg and sesame or poppy seeds if desired.
- Bake at 350 for half an hour or until golden
- Try not to burn your tongue as you eat the hot challah
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 277g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 173||22%|
|Total Fat 19.68g||25%|
|Saturated Fat 1.59g||6%|
|Trans Fat 0.47g|
|Total Carbs 133.45g||36%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.4g||15%|