Bubbling with warm, creamy Roquefort, this gratin brings together the classic combination of spinach, blue cheese and eggs. Comforting like a savory bread pudding, this Gratin of Spinach and Roquefort begs to be part of the Thanksgiving tradition.
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound baby spinach, washed and spun dry
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 medium garlic cloves, mashed to a paste
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 8 ounces Roquefort cheese, crumbled (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions, plus more for garnish
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound sourdough bread, crusts removed, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Preheat oven to 375Â°F.
- Prepare Pan: Generously butter a gratin dish.
- SautÃ© Spinach: In a large sautÃ© pan, heat olive oil. Add the spinach and sautÃ© until spinach is wilted.
- Prepare Custard: In a small saucepan, melt the butter over moderate heat. Add the garlic paste and cook, stirring, until just golden. Stir in the cream and Roquefort and bring to a boil. Stir in scallions and spinach and cook for about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat. Transfer to a large bowl. Gradually fold in beaten eggs into the Roquefort spinach cream mixture. Add salt and pepper, stir in the bread cubes and let stand until the cream is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Bake Gratin: Spoon the bread pudding mixture into the gratin pan. Bake in the center of the oven for 25 minutes, or until the gratin is set and golden. Transfer the gratin to a cooling rack and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve: Run a knife around the gratin to release. Scoop out onto plates and garnish with the remaining scallions. Serve immediately.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 192g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 264||54%|
|Total Fat 29.99g||37%|
|Saturated Fat 15.83g||63%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 39.05g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.9g||10%|