The kids love their goguma twigim (fried sweet potatoes) and we happily oblige making it for them if we have the ingredients available. They taste great, provide a lot of health benefits, and they're easy to make. We make it at least several times a month for them. Besides this we also make them steamed sweet potatoes, which is a great hand-held snack for the kids or a snack to take on the go. And though I am accustomed to the deep-fried vegetable medley (yachae twigim) that my mom and older generation Korean moms usually make, I can be assured that these fried varieties are a little more healthy than the ones I grew up with.
- 2 medium size sweet potato (goguma), cut into 1/2 inch round discs
- 2 tbsp olive oil (or vegetable)
- 1 cup Korean twigim garu (frying batter mix); or 1 cup all-purpose flour)
- 1 cup cold water
- sprinkle of salt and pepper
- garlic salt (optional
- 1. Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1/2 inch flat, round discs. If desired, cutting into matchstick pieces will also work and bunch together when frying.
- 2. Combine the Korean twigim garu, cold water, and some salt and pepper. Mix until smooth without any lumps (similar to pancake batter).
- 3. Add the sweet potato slices and coat thoroughly.
- 4. Heat a non-stick pan or skillet on medium-high heat with 1 tbsp of olive oil. When hot, carefully add the battered sweet potatoes for the first batch. When the edges are slightly burned (about 3, 4 minutes) flip and cook other side. Prepare a paper towel lined plate or bowl and set fried sweet potatoes to drain and cool. Repeat the same process with the second batch.
- 5. Transfer to a serving plate and enjoy as an appetizer or banchan (side dish).
- *Other vegetables may be added or substituted in place of sweet potatoes, but we prefer them for their sweetness and great taste. A dipping sauce is not necessary for this dish.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 226g|
|Recipe makes 2 servings|
|Calories from Fat 120||60%|
|Total Fat 13.55g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 1.88g||8%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 18.83g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.8g||9%|