Cost per recipe $5.62 view details
- 110 gm round hard goats cheese
- 4 x spring onions finely sliced
- 1 med red potato weighing approximately 175g
- 1 x rounded tsp. minced thyme leaves plus a few small sprigs
- 175 gm self raising flour plus a little extra for the top of the loaf
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp or possibly generous healthy pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 lrg egg
- 2 Tbsp. lowfat milk
- 1 x heaped tsp. grain mustard
- Small solid baking sheet very well greased.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 5/375F/190C.
- Pare the rind from the cheese and cut it into 10mm cubes.
- Sift the flour salt and cayenne into a big roomy mixing bowl holding the sieve up high to give the flour a good airing.
- Thinly pare off the potato skin using a potato peeler and grate the potato straight into the flour using the coarse side of the grater.
- Add in the spring onions minced thyme and twothirds of the cheese.
- Take a palette knife and blend everything together thoroughly.
- Beat the egg gently with the lowfat milk and mustard then pour the mix into the bowl just bringing it all together to a loose rough dough still using the palette knife.
- Transfer it on to the baking sheet and pat it gently into a 150mm rough round.
- Lightly press the rest of the cheese over the surface dust with a little flour and scatter the small sprigs of thyme over.
- Bake the bread on the middle shelf of the oven for 45 to 50 min or possibly till golden.
- Remove it to a cooling rack and serve it still slightly hot if possible (but I have to say its still divine a day later warmed through in the oven).
- Dont make this if you are on a diet its so wonderful which its impossible to stop eating it. Its also great for a packed lunch or possibly journey because youve got the bread and cheese all in one. It must also be the quickest easiest home made bread on record
- Makes 1 loaf to serve 4
- feta cheese potato and rosemary bread
- This is a delicious variation on the recipe above using a different cheese and a different herb. Simply substitute the goats cheese for the same amount of cubed Feta cheese a quarter of a red onion peeled and finely minced instead of the spring onions and use rosemary instead of thyme. Before baking scatter over a quarter of an onion sliced into halfmoon shapes along with some small sprigs of rosemary and a few halved olives.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 254g|
|Calories from Fat 252||63%|
|Total Fat 28.57g||36%|
|Saturated Fat 17.8g||71%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 7.75g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.9g||6%|