This is a quick, easy way to use leftover chicken and leftover rice... you may add seasonings according to you preference. If you like, you can add cream cheese and/or Parmesan cheese to the roux for an Alfredo-like casserole.
Instead of using canned cream of chicken (or any "cream of" soup),
a very easy roux is made from cornstarch, butter and milk. I use a soy free butter substitute and lactose free, fat milk due to lactose intolerance... no one has ever noticed these substitutions.
- 1 lb cooked chicken, cut up
- 1 cup brown rice (you may use white rice)
- 1-1 1/2 cup broccoli florets (fresh or frozen, if
- using frozen, microwave for about 3 min. to thaw)
- For sauce:
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 2 Tbs Cornstarch
- 1- 1 1/2 cups fat free milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- (other seasonings I like are: curry powder, Italian seasoning, poultry seasoning... feel free to experiment!)
- For topping:
- 2 Tbs. gluten free bread crumbs (I add Italian seasoning to the crumbs)
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Combine chicken, broccoli and rice in an ovenproof casserole dish. Toss to mix.
- To make the roux: melt the butter in a medium size saucepan.
- Add the cornstarch and blend thoroughly. While blending, add the milk and seasonings. Continue stirring until a cream soup consistency is reached.
- At this point, you may add the cheese(s). Since the cheese will thicken the sauce, you may have to add more milk.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken/broccoli/rice mixture. Top with gluten free bread crumbs.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes (depending upon your oven).
- Remove from oven and serve.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 235g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 207||42%|
|Total Fat 23.16g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 9.03g||36%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 48.39g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.2g||7%|