I've always wanted to make this and last night I finally did. What a delicious way to cook chicken! Making your own sauce means you can add real depth and flavour but for convenience using a jar of pasta sauce is fine too.
- For the chicken:
- 2 chicken breasts, pounded to about 1 inch thick
- 25g gf flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 100g gf bread crumbs
- 25g parmesan, grated
- 2-3 tbsp of olive oil for shallow frying
- For the sauce:
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Dried herbs of your choice (basil, marjoram and oregano are good)
- salt and black pepper
- 50g cheese of choice, thinly sliced (mozzarella is good)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the tomatoes, wine, sugar, herbs, salt and pepper in a saucepan and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes until thick.
- Meanwhile, combine breadcrumbs and parmesan in a shallow bowl. Dredge each breast in the flour and tap off excess, then dip in the egg and let excess drip off, then dredge on both sides in the bread crumbs.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Spread tomato sauce onto the bottom of a small baking dish.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan and fry the chicken on both sides until golden.
- Place the chicken breasts on top of the sauce and top each with a slice of cheese, season with salt and pepper.
- Bake until the cheeses have melted and the chicken is cooked through, about 8-10 mins.
- Serve with mixed salad leaves and a glass of riesling! Cheers!
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 319g|
|Recipe makes 2 servings|
|Calories from Fat 317||61%|
|Total Fat 35.55g||44%|
|Saturated Fat 8.87g||35%|
|Trans Fat 0.17g|
|Total Carbs 6.76g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.0g||3%|