In the book The Georgian Feast: The Vibrant Culture and Savory Food of the Republic of Georgia, the author tells how suckling pig is rubbed with a blend of soaked black and red pepper pounded with garlic, coriander and summer savory. I tried this concoction on roasted chicken, and it was delicious. I'd put this very close to the Cumin chicken I've contributed. Try the Cumin chicken first though.
- One 3- to 5-pound chicken, washed and dried
- 2 tablespoons very hot water, or half water, half vinegar
- 2 teaspoons whole black or mixed peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon to 1/2 tablespoon hot red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds or 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons dry summer savory (or substitute poultry seasoning or sage)
- 1 1/4 cup tightly packed with fresh coriander leaves
- 10 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil (an aromatic olive oil can stand in if necessary)
- Kosher salt
- The day before roasting the chicken, combine the hot water with the peppercorns and red pepper. Let stand 30 minutes, or until softened. Drain, then pound along with the coriander seeds and savory in a mortar with a pestle, or in a small bowl with the handle of a large knife, until the mix is a paste. (You could puree the spices in a coffee grinder, then mash with other ingredients.)
- Blend the fresh coriander, garlic and oil into the paste. Rub over the chicken (inside and out), set on a plate, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Rub a little butter in bottom of a shallow baking pan to keep chicken from sticking. Season the chicken inside and out with salt, set breast-side-up in the pan and roast. Figure 10 minutes to the pound, plus 15 extra minutes. Once done, give a 10-minute rest outside the oven. Of course, you could slowly roast the chicken over wood charcoal as well.
- Serve hot, or chill immediately and serve cold.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 330g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 481||65%|
|Total Fat 53.44g||67%|
|Saturated Fat 13.93g||56%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 2.65g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.5g||2%|