This is a delicious, extremely flavorful beef stew. Serve it over steamed bulgar, steamed rice, or with warm flat bread. Your whole family will love it and your home will smell great for hours! The Georgian name is (სოუსი). Don't ask me how to pronounce it!
- 2 pounds of stewing beef, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 stick of butter
- 2 onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 pounds of potatoes, peeled and chopped into 3/4 inch cubes
- 2 pounds of tomatoes, peeled and seeded (or two 450g cans)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups of chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 cups of chopped fresh basil
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 hot red pepper, chopped (or 1/2 tsp cayenne)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of water
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place the meat in a Dutch oven (ie Le Creuset pot or the like) and cook, covered, over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring once. Uncover the pan and turn the heat to high. Cook for another 10 minutes or so, until liquid evaporates. It may take a bit more than 10 minutes. Add butter at this point, and cook meat over medium heat, browning for about 10 minutes..
- Add onions and potatoes and cook for 5 more minutes.
- While the potatoes and onions are cooking, puree the tomatoes and add to the pan along with the remaining ingredients, seasoning to taste with pepper.
- Mix well. Simmer, covered for one hour.
- Test the potatoes for softness and serve!
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 524g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 345||59%|
|Total Fat 38.67g||48%|
|Saturated Fat 18.98g||76%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 30.77g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.7g||19%|