Gamja jorim (Korean glazed potatoes) is another banchan (side dish) that we made recently that is appealing for its sweet taste and ease of cooking. It can either be made a little sweeter or spicier (with more red pepper flakes) so it appeals to both kids and adults alike (and foreigners too). Also, making them in large amounts allow for refrigeration, where you can enjoy them as a side dish for several meals afterwards. In Korea, this is a popular side dish for school lunch boxes, as they are easy to eat with rice and other side dishes. Personally, I think this dish would be a big hit with anyone who enjoys potatoes and a sweet Asian flavor to it.
- 3, 4 medium potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp corn syrup (mulyeot)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tbsp gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
- 2, 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1.Peel and cut the 3 medium-sized potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes or a little larger.
- 2.In a heated non-stick frying pan, add the 2, 3 tbsp olive oil (enough to prevent sticking) and potato cubes. Fry/saute them for about 7, 8 minutes or until slightly browned and softened.
- 3.Add the soy sauce, gochugaru (red pepper flakes), minced garlic, and brown sugar to the pan. Saute for another 2, 3 minutes or until ingredients mixed through.
- 4.Lastly, add the corn syrup in tbsp intervals until a thick glaze starts to coat the potato cubes. Taste continuously until desired taste is met and the potatoes have softened but not broken.
- 5.Cook for a few more minutes if necessary and then transfer to a serving plate. Garnish with sesame seeds or more gochugaru for more spice. Enjoy!
- *There are endless varieties of potatoes to be had out there. We recently saw some great fingerling potatoes at the farmers' market that we missed out on but knew would work great with this recipe. Don't hesitate to experiment and make the dish suitable to your taste preference.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 264g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 98||31%|
|Total Fat 11.13g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 1.58g||6%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 50.13g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.4g||18%|