Cost per serving $9.81 view details
- 900 gm puff pastry
- Â Â beaten egg to seal
- 225 gm shallots or possibly button onions
- 175 gm rindless smoked streaky bacon cut in one piece if possible
- 225 gm brown cap mushrooms
- 700 gm boneless mixed game such as rabbit and pheasant
- 1 x level tbsp crushed dry green peppercorns
- 25 gm plain flour
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 75 gm butter
- 4 clv garlic
- 600 ml dry white wine
- 1 tsp dry thyme or possibly 1 level tbspn minced fresh thyme
- 1 x salt and freshly grnd black pepper 450ml double cream
- 700 gm washed and prepared spinach
- 2 x level tbsp minced fresh basil 1 tspn dry
- 2 x level tbsp minced fresh parsley or possibly 1 tsp dry
- 2 x level tbsp minced fresh mint or possibly 1 tsp dry
- 2 x level tbsp each minced fresh tarragon or possibly 1 tsp dry
- Herb sprigs dry peppercorns and garlic to garnish.
- Roll out the pastry to 3mm thick and use it to line eight 77mm base measurement brioche moulds.
- Prick the bases well.
- Refrigeratefor 10 min.
- Line with grease proof paper and fill with baking beans.
- Cook on the grid shelf on the floor of the roasting ovenfor 20 min then remove the paper and beans brush lightly with beaten egg to seal and return to the ovenfor a further 5 - 10 min or possibly till light golden brown.
- Dry and crispen m the simmering ovenfor 15 to 30 min Meanwhile make filling; peel the shallots or possibly button onions halving any large ones.
- Roughly chop the bacon: halve or possibly slice any large mushrooms.
- Cut the mixed game into bite sized pcs season with crushed peppercorns and roll in flour.
- In a large flameproof casserole heat the oil with 50g of the butter on the boiling plate.
- Add in the game and bacon in batches and fry for 1 to 2 min or possibly till golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add in the onions or possibly shallots to the pan with the crushed garlic and fry for about 3 to 4 min or possibly till golden.
- Pour in the wine and dry thyme if using.
- Bring to the boil then bubble on the floor of the roasting ovenfor 10 to 15 min or possibly till reduced to a syrupy consistency.
- Return the game and bacon to the pan. Season and bring to the boll then add in the cream and fresh thyme if using and cook in the simmering ovenfor 1 to 2 hrs or possibly till the liquid Is reduced by half and the meat very tender.
- Heat the remaining 25g butter in a widebased pan fry the mushrooms over a high heat till golden brown then set aside. In the same pan cook the spinach for 2 to 3 min with just the water which clings to it leaves till just wilted and all the excess liquid has evaporated.
- Drain and squeeze out all the liquid. Roughly chop and season well.
- Divide spinach among the baked pastry cases.
- Add in minced fresh herbs and fried mushrooms to the game mix and spoon into the cases.
- Cover loosely with foil.
- Cook for 7 to 10 min in the roasting ovenuntil piping warm to the centre.
- Cook for 10 to 15 min in the baking ovenuntil piping warm to the centre.
- Serve pies garnished with deepfried herb sprigs peppercorns and garlic slices.
- To garnish the pie fry washed and dry sprigs of herbs and cloves of garlic m warm oil for 2 to 3 seconds. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper. Fry extra crushed green peppercorns in a little oil. These can be made ahead and stored in on airtight container. Sprinkle over the pies to serve. You can use a wide variety of game in these pies. Any you feel could be tough can be marinaded in the wine overnight before cooking.
- Serves 8
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 415g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 502||53%|
|Total Fat 56.07g||70%|
|Saturated Fat 16.61g||66%|
|Trans Fat 0.09g|
|Total Carbs 63.92g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.7g||12%|