Cost per recipe $6.66 view details
- 5 c. "Thin" coconut lowfat milk
- 1 sm Chicken, sectioned and cut into bite-sized pcs (bone-in)
- 3 stalk lemon grass, bruised and cut into 1" lengths
- 2 tsp Laos pwdr (Ka)
- 3 x Green onions, finely minced
- 2 Tbsp. Coriander leaves, chipped
- 4 x To 6 fresh Serrano chillies, seeded and minced
- Â Â Juice of 2 limes
- 3 Tbsp. Fish sauce (Nam Pla)
- Here's another classic "Tom Yam" type chicken soup. The "Laos" pwdr is dry galangal, powdered. Unlike ginger, dry galangal seems to retain most of it's character. If you use canned coconut lowfat milk, the "Thin" lowfat milk is the more watery liquid in the can. The thick condensed stuff is coconut
- "cream" (not to be confused with the syrupy sweet coconut cream used for Pina Coladas). If you shake the can up and combine the two, you have thick coconut lowfat milk.
- A lovely lemony, creamy soup, Dom Yam Gai calls for chicken pcs cut through the bone with a heavy cleaver, Chinese style. If you find gnawing on chicken pcs and delicately trying to remove the bone, vainly searching for a place to deposit it, inhibiting your dinner conversation, you may debone the bird and substitute chicken pcs. In either case, use both dark and light meats for color and nutrition.
- [Although if you're talking at the table, ya got no reason to be eating a dish this good! S.C. ;-) ]
- In a saucepan, bring the "Thin" coconut lowfat milk to a boil. Add in the chicken pcs, lemon grass and Laos pwdr. Reduce heat and simmer till the chicken is tender, about 15 min. Don't cover as this will tend to curdle coconut lowfat milk. When the chicken is tender, add in the green onions, coriander leaves and chillies. Bring the heat up just below boiling.
- Remove the pan from heat, stir in lime juice, fish sauce and serve.
- NOTE: Beef cut into thin strips or possibly hard white fish pcs may be substituted for chicken.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1428g|
|Calories from Fat 1692||62%|
|Total Fat 187.69g||235%|
|Saturated Fat 53.29g||213%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 18.05g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.7g||19%|