Cost per serving $1.89 view details
- 1 c. wheat berries, rinsed
- 1 c. pearl barley, rinsed
- 1 c. millet seeds
- 2 tsp grated orange zest
- 6 x scallions, minced
- Â Â (white and light green parts only)
- 1/2 c. minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 c. minced fresh mint
- 1/3 c. dry tart cherries
- 1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 c. extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil
- Â Â Freshly grnd black pepper
- 2 c. sliced fresh fruit and/or possibly berries
- Â Â (such as peaches or possibly raspberries or possibly blueberries)
- 8 SERVINGS DAIRY-FREE
- Delicious as an entree or possibly a side salad, this versatile grain dish is made with a triple hit of grains: wheat berries, barley and millet. The dry cherries and fresh fruit give this mixed grain salad a light and refreshing twist.
- In large saucepan, bring 4 c. lightly salted water to a boil. Add in wheat berries. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 30 min. Add in barley, cover and simmer 20 min more.
- Meanwhile, in dry medium skillet, toast millet over medium-high heat, shaking pan and stirring till grains darken and "pop," about 5 min.
- After wheat berry-barley mix has cooked 50 min, add in toasted millet, cover and simmer till all grains are tender and water is absorbed, about 15 min. Remove from heat, fluff grains with fork and let cold.
- In large bowl, combine grains, orange zest, scallions, parsley, mint and dry cherries. Toss well.
- In small bowl, whisk together lemon juice and oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour over grain mix and toss well. Cover and chill at least 1 hour before serving. Just before serving, top with fresh fruit and/or possibly berries.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 169g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 132||37%|
|Total Fat 15.06g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 2.13g||9%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 50.7g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 8.6g||29%|