This is a print preview of "Fruit Cake" recipe.
Fruit Cake Recipe
75 gm candied peel
75 gm glace cherries
150 gm seeded raisins
150 gm large seedless raisins i
200 gm sultanas
225 gm currants
200 ml brandy plus
60 ml for spooning over butter for greasing
300 gm plain white flour
1 x level tsp grnd cinnamon
1 x little freshly grated nutmeg
150 gm softened butter preferably unsalted
150 gm soft dark brown (muscovado) sugar
4 lrg Large eggs separated
1 x level tsp cocoa pwdr
1 pch bicarbonate of soda
6 x level tbsp honey or possibly apricot jam corn flour for dusting
450 gm white marzipan
225 gm ready to roll fondant icing
- Finely chop the peel: halve the cherries. Place in a bowl with all the deed fruit and 200ml brandy.
- Cover and place in the simmering oven for 45 min then leave to cold.
- Grease and doubleline a 205mm deep cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Sift flour with cinnamon a healthy pinch of salt and a little nutmeg.
- Place softened butter in a food mixer and with the beater attachment beat till creamy.
- Add in sugar gradually beating well between each addition till light and fluffy.
- With the machine at full speed beat in egg yolks one at a time. reduce speed: add in 150g flour mix the fruit and its soaking liquid then add in remaining flour.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg whites to a foam.
- Add in to mix with cocoa and bicarbonate of soda mixing well.
- Turn the cake mix into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
- Bake on the grid shelf on the floor at the front of the roasting ovenwith the cool plain shelf on the bottom runners for about 1 hour turning the cake round to colour proportionately after the first 35 to 40 min.
- Then place the warm plain shelf on the second runners in the simmering ovenand bake for a further 3 to 4 hrs till a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Bake on the grid shelf on the floor of the baking ovenfor 55 to 60 min till the cake is golden brown.
- Have the plain shelf heating in the roasting oven.
- Then place the warm shelf on the runners of the simmering ovenand transfer the cake pushing it to the back of the oven. Bake for a further 2 1/2 to 3 1/4 hrs till a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cold for 30 min in the tin then transfer to a rack to cold completely. Wrap in greaseproof paper and foil and store in a cold place for up to six weeks.
- Hot the honey and brush a layer over the cake.
- On a worlcsurface dusted with comflour. roll out the marzipan to a 300mm circle place over the top and sides of the cake press down and trim any excess.
- Cover with greaseproof paper leave in a cold place for two days.
- To ice place the cake on a board.
- Hot remaining honey and brush over the marzipan.
- On a worksurface dusted with comflour thinly roll out 225g fondant icing and cover in the same way as with the marzipan.
- Re roll fondant trimmings and use to decorate the cake.
- To prepare the tin lightly grease the base then cover with a disc of greaseproof paper.Halve a double thickness of grease proof paper 125mm wide and 720mm long.
- Fold up 25mm along the open edge and cut diaganally at 10mm intervals.
- Curl the strip of paper around the inside of the tin placing the snipped edge on the base.
- Place a second disc of greaseproof paper in the base of the tin.
- A fantastic moist cake full of flavout the perfect recipe for a christmas cake. If you dont have a food mixer with a beater attachment use an electric hand whisk. If short of time leave the mix in a cold place till the next day to bake (this will also ensure the cake has a flat top). Brush very lightly with cool water before baking to prevent a hard crust forming.
- The minimum time between cooking and decorating is one week. Every week for the first two weeks prick the cake base and spoon 2 tbsp brandy over the top. Wrap till ready to decorate.
- Serves 12