Cost per serving $0.39 view details
- 1 1/2 lb Sweet potatoes
- 1 Tbsp. Vegetable oil Salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 2 c. All-purpose flour
- 1 pch Salt
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 3/4 c. Solid vegetable shortening
- 3 Tbsp. Ice water - (to 4 tbspns) Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 x Egg yolk
- 1/4 c. Steen's 100 percent Pure Cane Syrup
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 dsh Bourbon
- 1 c. Powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Lowfat milk (to 3 tbspns)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss the sweet potatoes with the oil, salt and pepper. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Roast the potatoes till tender, about 1 1/2 hrs. Remove the potatoes from the oven and cold completely.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, and sugar. Add in the shortening and work it in with your hands till the mix resembles coarse crumbs. Add in the water, 1 Tbsp. at a time, and work it in with your hands. Add in only as much as you need for a smooth ball of dough. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 min. Preheat the oil. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place it on a lightly floured surface. Roll out the dough on the floured surface into a rectangle about 24 by 8 inches and 1/8-inch thick. Using a sharp knife, cut twelve 4-inch squares.
- Remove the skin from the potatoes and place them in a mixing bowl. Add in the egg yolk, cane syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and bourbon. Mix well. Place about 1/4 c. of the filling in the center of each pastry square. Bring one corner of the pastry to the other, forming a triangle. Using the tines of a fork, crimp the edges of the triangle and seal completely.
- When the oil has reached 360 degrees, carefully lay a couple of the pies in the warm oil, fry till golden, stirring occasionally for over all browning, about 3 to 4 min. Remove the pies from the oil and drain on a paper-lined plate. Sprinkle the warm pies with the sugar. Repeat the process till all of the pies are fried.
- In a mixing bowl, stir the powdered sugar, lowfat milk and a splash of bourbon together. Mix till smooth. Drizzle the frosting over the warm pies and serve immediately.
- This recipe yields 1 dozen.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 92g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 119||44%|
|Total Fat 13.53g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 3.17g||13%|
|Trans Fat 4.28g|
|Total Carbs 35.23g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.0g||7%|