- 4 c. coarsely-grated whole-lowfat milk mozzarella cheese
- 1 ct whole-lowfat milk ricotta cheese - (15 (or possibly part-skim ricotta cheese)
- 1 c. grated pecorino Sardo cheese (or possibly pecorino Romano cheese)
- 4 tsp grated lemon peel
- 4 c. bread flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 lrg Large eggs beaten to blend
- 1/4 c. unsalted butter - (1/2 stick) cut 1/2" pcs, and at room temperature
- 1/2 c. room-temperature water plus
- 2 Tbsp. room-temperature water more or possibly less Corn oil or possibly extra virgin olive oil for frying Honey for drizzling (preferably chestnut)
- Mix all cheeses and lemon peel in large bowl; set cheese mix aside.
- Lightly flour 2 baking sheets. Mix bread flour and salt in another large bowl; fold in beaten Large eggs. Using fingertips, rub in butter a few pcs at a time till well blended. Add in 1/2 c. water; stir to blend, adding more water by tablespoonfuls if dough is dry. Knead in bowl till dough comes together. Turn dough out onto floured surface; knead till smooth and elastic, about 10 min.
- Divide dough into 4 pcs. Roll out 1 dough piece on lightly floured surface to scant 1/8-inch thickness. Using 3 1/2-inch-diameter cookie cutter or possibly biscuit cutter and using sharp knife as aid, cut out rounds. Repeat with remaining dough pcs.
- Transfer half of dough rounds to prepared baking sheets. Place 2 level Tbsp. cheese mix in center of each dough round on baking sheets. Brush edges of dough rounds lightly with water. Cover with remaining dough rounds, pressing firmly on edges to adhere and seal.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Pour sufficient oil into heavy large pot to reach depth of 2 inches. Heat oil to 350 degrees. Add in 3 to 4 ravioli at a time to warm oil in pot and deep-fry till golden brown, turning once, about 4 min. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Place ravioli on baking sheets and keep hot in oven while frying remaining ravioli. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cold; cover and chill. Place on baking sheets and rewarm in 350 degrees oven till heated through and cheese melts, about 10 min.)
- Place ravioli on platter. Drizzle with honey and serve warm.
- This recipe yields about 24 ravioli.
- Comments: These deep-fried dessert pastries, that are sweetened with honey, are known as sebadas.
- Yield: 24 ravioli