Bought a piece of Black Promfret from the morning market and undecided what to do with it! After changing my mind a couple to times (I'm so fickle-minded sometimes!), I finally just settled for a simple dish of fried fish with crispy fried ginger and sweet soy sauce. A family favourite. We would sometimes have this dish in Chinese restaurants. It is cheaper to have it at home and healthier too, I use canola oil. Other than Promfret, other suitable fish would be Tillapia, Garoupa, Threadfin and any fish that is suitable for frying.
If you are a ginger nut like me, use as much ginger as you want. Julienned ginger is fried till light brown and crispy. Instead of ginger, thinly sliced garlic may be used. Just fry the sliced garlic till crispy. Or you can have the best of both worlds, garlic and ginger, but they need to be fried separately, you can mix them up later. Soy sauce is sweetened with a little sugar in the hot oil and pour over the fish. Garnish with the crispy ginger and serve immediately. Really yummy! Give this dish a try, I'm very sure that you will enjoy it! Kids will especially love the crispy fish! Be careful with the bones when serving to children!
- Fried Fish with Crispy Fried Ginger
- 1 black promfret
- 1/2 cup julliened sliced ginger (or more!)
- 3/4 cup oil for frying
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Clean fish, pat dry. Heat oil in wok, coating sides of wok with oil. When oil is smoking hot, gently release fish in oil.
- Fry over medium heat on both sides till brown and crispy. Make sure fish is crispy.
- Remove to a serving heat-proof plate.
- In same oil, fry julliened ginger (or thinly sliced garlic) till brown and crispy. (Take care not to burn the ginger as it will be bitter). Remove to a small plate or bowl and keep aside.
- Remove excess oil from wok, retaining about 2-3 tablespoons in wok. Turn off heat. Add in sugar and soy sauce. It will sizzle. Stir until sugar is melted, about 15 seconds or so. Pour soy sauce and oil mixture on fish, garnish with crispy fried ginger and serve immediately. Really delicious when eaten while the fish and ginger is really crispy.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 68g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 364||94%|
|Total Fat 41.22g||52%|
|Saturated Fat 3.11g||12%|
|Trans Fat 1.06g|
|Total Carbs 1.96g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||0%|