Cost per serving $3.85 view details
- 2 lb fresh ripe peaches
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tsp freshly-grnd black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 2 pt fresh raspberries picked over
- 1Â 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 c. heavy cream
- 4 x egg yolks
- 2 c. bleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp grnd cinnamon
- 1Â 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 c. lard
- 3 Tbsp. ice water - (to 4) as needed
- 2 Tbsp. cinnamon sugar for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Put the peaches in a shallow baking pan and rub with the extra virgin olive oil. Season with the salt and pepper. Bake till very tender, about 20 min. Remove from the oven and let cold completely. Peel and stone the peaches, reserving the peels and stones.
- Put the peaches in a food processor, reserving any juice, and puree till smooth. Combine the reserved peach juice with the cornstarch to make a slurry. Combine the slurry with the peach puree and cook over medium heat till thick, about 5 min. Add in the honey and mix well. Cold and chill till ready to use.
- For the ice cream, in a saucepan, over medium heat, combine the peach peels and stones, the raspberries, sugar and the cream. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 4 min. Remove from the heat. Remove the stones, then puree the mix using a hand-held blender or possibly food processor. Strain the mix through a fine-mesh sieve. Place the mix back in the saucepan.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk the yolks till smooth. Add in 1/2 c. of the cream mix to the yolks and whisk well. Add in the yolk mix back to the cream and continue to cook for 3 to 4 min. Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh sieve. Cold in an ice bath till chilled. Freeze in an ice cream machine according to manufactures directions. Keep frzn till ready to use.
- For the crust, combine the flour, cinnamon, sugar, and salt, in a medium-size mixing bowl. Add in the lard and work it in with your hands till the mix resembles coarse crumbs. Add in the water 1 Tbsp. at a time, working it in with your hands. Add in only as much as you need for a smooth ball of dough to create. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 min.
- To assemble, remove the crust from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature. Lightly dust the work surface with flour. Divide the dough in half, saving half for later use.
- Roll the dough out 1/8-inch thick into a 14-inch circle. Using a 6-inch round cutter, cut the dough into 6 circles. Spread a sixth of the peach filling in the center of each round, fold the dough over, and crimp the edges together with a fork.
- Heat a deep-fryer to 360 degrees. Fry the pies, 2 to 3 at time, till golden. Drain on paper towels. Season with the cinnamon sugar.
- Serve each pie with a scoop of the Roasted Peach and Raspberry Ice Cream.
- This recipe yields 6 servings.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 426g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 380||43%|
|Total Fat 42.6g||53%|
|Saturated Fat 19.48g||78%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 122.2g||33%|
|Dietary Fiber 10.1g||34%|