- 1 1/4 gallons tomato puree
- 3 1/3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/4 quarts minced celery
- 1 1/4 quarts minced onions
- 10 bay leaves
- 2 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 5 cups butter or margarine
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3 1/3 Tbsp salt
- 1 1/3 tsp paprika
- 3 1/3 Tbsp white pepper
- 2 gallons water
- 2 gallons half and half
- 2 1/2 quarts fresh, diced tomatoes
- Combine tomato puree, sugar, celery, onions and bay leaves. Simmer covered for 1 hour. Add baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, malt margarine, add flour, salt, pepper and paprika. Stir in water. whisk until smooth and thick.
- Stir into tomato mixture.
- Stir in half and half. heat, but DO NOT BOIL.
- Remove bay leaves if desired.
- Taste and adjust for seasoning if necessary. Garnish
- Sprinkle chopped tomatoes on top as a garnish if desired.