Slowly cooked onions in delicious beef stock make this a rich and satisfying side dish.
Prep:15m Cook:45m Servings:24
Cost per serving $1.18 view details
- 4 oz Butter
- 5 lb Onion sliced thin
- 6.5 qt Beef stock, or half beef and half chicken stock
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 5 fl oz Sherry 4-6 fl oz, optional
- as needed, each:
- French bread (see directions)
- 1.5 lb GruyÃ¨re or Swiss cheese, or a mixture, coarsely grated
- 1. Heat the butter in a stockpot over moderate heat.
- 2. Add the onions and cook until they are golden.
- 3. Stir occasionally.
- 4. Note:
- 5. The onions must cook slowly and become evenly browned.
- 6. This is a slow process and will take about 30 minutes.
- 7. Do not brown too fast or use high heat.
- 8. Add the stock and bring to a boil.
- 9. Simmer until the onions are very tender and the flavors are well blended, about 20 minutes.
- 10. Season to taste with salt an pepper.
- 11. Add the sherry, if desired.
- 12. Cut the bread into slices about .38 in thick.
- 13. You will need 1 or 2 slices per portion, or just enough to cover the top of the soup in its serving crock.
- 14. Toast the slices in the oven or under the broiler.
- 15. For each portion fill an individual service soup crock with hot soup.
- 16. Place 1 or 2 slices of the toast on top and cover with cheese.
- 17. Pass under the broiler until the cheese is bubbling and lightly browned.
- 18. Serve immediately.
- 19. Note:
- 20. Onion soup may be served without gratinÃ©eing and with cheese croutons prepared separately.
- 21. Toast the bread as in basic recipe.
- 22. Place on a sheet pan.
- 23. Brush lightly with butter and sprinkle each piece with grated cheese.
- 24. (Parmesan may be mixed with the other cheese).
- 25. Brown under the broiler.
- 26. Garnish each portion with 1 cheese crouton.
- 27. (This method is less expensive because it uses much less cheese.)
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 358g|
|Recipe makes 24 servings|
|Calories from Fat 40||38%|
|Total Fat 4.54g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 2.76g||11%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 10.39g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||5%|