Cost per serving $0.98 view details
- Flour: 400 g
- Softened butter: 200 g
- Sugar: 2 tablespoons
- Grated orange skin: 1 whole (organic if possible)
- egg: 1 + 1 yolk
- Salt: a pinch
- Orange Cream:
- Organic oranges: 4
- Hazlenuts: 10
- Orange, Citrus and Grapefruit Jam (in unavailable, orange jam is fine): 1 tablespoon
- Sugar: 1 tablespoon
- Eggs: 3
- Fresh cream: 2 tablespoons
- Thickening agent (arrow root is best. If unavailable high quality cornstarch): 1 tablespoon
- -The evening before, prepare the pastry:
- Mix flour, 1 tablespoon of sugar, salt and grated orange skin. Add butter and mix. Beat the egg and add, kneading it in as quickly as possible. If needed add a little water. Make a bowl, wrap it in cellophane paper and leave inside refrigerator.
- -Next day:
- Take wedges out of the oranges. Take off thin skins and discard. Drain. Chop the hazlenuts finely.
- In a bowl, mix eggs and thickening agent, sugar, fresh cream, jam and hazlenuts. Carefully add the the orange wedges. Leave inside refrigerator.
- Divide the pastry into two parts, one made up of two thirds, the other one of one third.
- Let rest at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Make 4 circles with the first two thirds about 5 mm thick and spread them inside tart molds leaving the pastry coming over the brim.
- Stab pastry with a fork.
- Keep inside refrigerator for 30 more minutes.
- Take out of refrigerator. Fill tarts with the orange cream up to two thirds of its depth.
- Make 4 circles with other third of pastry wide enough to be slightly wider than the molds. Place one circle on top of each tart/pie and secure it by pinching both pastries together.
- Make a small hole in the middle and insert a small cone of baking paper inside.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Take out of oven.
- Beat the egg yolk with 2 tablespoons of water and brush the whole top of the pie. Sprinkle with a little sugar and bake again for 10 minutes.
- Serve lukewarm.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 188g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 397||49%|
|Total Fat 45.17g||56%|
|Saturated Fat 27.43g||110%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 86.23g||23%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.7g||9%|