French Bistro Chicken Chasseur Recipe
Mushrooms, bacon, wine, and chicken braised in a Dutch oven or crockpot with herbs and tomatoes. Serve with a salad, noodles, and fresh bread.
- 8 slices hardwood bacon, chopped, cooked (reserve fat)
- 1 whole fryer cut-up, breasts cut in half
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. baby bellas (creminis) or portabella mushrooms
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4-6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine, like sauterne
- 14.5 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes or Tabasco to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup flour
Cook bacon until browned, reserve fat.
Saute onions, mushrooms, and garlic until golden brown, remove.
Heat oven to 350 F or crank up the crockpot.
Add the olive oil to the Dutch oven and lightly brown the chicken pieces on all sides, drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
Add the flour to the oil, and make a roux.
Begin adding chicken broth, then the wine. Stir constantly.
Add the rest of the seasonings, half the parsley, along with the tomatoes.
Bake 45 minutes, covered, or 4 hours in the crockpot on low.
Remove the lid and reduce the sauce until lightly thickened.
Serve, topping the dish with the rest of the parsley.
How good does this recipe look to you?