Mushrooms, bacon, wine, and chicken braised in a Dutch oven or crockpot with herbs and tomatoes. Serve with a salad, noodles, and fresh bread.
Cost per serving $4.57 view details
- 8 slices hardwood bacon, chopped, cooked (reserve fat)
- 1 whole fryer cut-up, breasts cut in half
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. baby bellas (creminis) or portabella mushrooms
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4-6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine, like sauterne
- 14.5 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes or Tabasco to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup flour
- Cook bacon until browned, reserve fat.
- Saute onions, mushrooms, and garlic until golden brown, remove.
- Heat oven to 350 F or crank up the crockpot.
- Add the olive oil to the Dutch oven and lightly brown the chicken pieces on all sides, drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add the flour to the oil, and make a roux.
- Begin adding chicken broth, then the wine. Stir constantly.
- Add the rest of the seasonings, half the parsley, along with the tomatoes.
- Bake 45 minutes, covered, or 4 hours in the crockpot on low.
- Remove the lid and reduce the sauce until lightly thickened.
- Serve, topping the dish with the rest of the parsley.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 846g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 543||52%|
|Total Fat 60.56g||76%|
|Saturated Fat 15.27g||61%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 23.89g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.7g||12%|