Huevos Rancheros is a classic Mexican dish consisting of fried eggs covered with salsa, beans and cheese all served on a fried tortilla. It’s a menu favorite at diners, sit-down restaurants and fast food joints throughout the western states. What makes ours skinny is using egg whites scrambled instead of fried, a small amount of reduced-fat cheese and not frying the tortillas. Most of the ingredients you might already have on hand.
Weight Watchers (old points) 6
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 7
SKINNY FACTS: for one serving
289 calories, 7g fat, 24g protein, 33g carbs, 6g fiber, 507mg sodium, 4g sugar
- 1 tablespoon Smart Balance Light, Benecol Light or reduced-fat butter
- Â½ cup scallions, chopped
- 1 cup (8) egg whites
- Â½ cup tomatoes, chopped
- Â½ cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- Â¼ cup salsa, we like Pace Chunky (medium heat) or your favorite salsa
- 4-Mission Yellow Corn Tortillas-Extra Thin (40 calories each) or your favorite corn tortillas
- Â¼ cup Sargento Reduced-Fat 4 Cheese Mexican cheese or reduced-fat cheddar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium nonstick pan, melt the spread or butter. Add the scallions and sautÃ© for about a minute, until soft. Pour in the egg whites, tomatoes, beans and salsa. Cook on medium-high heat stirring with a rubber spatula until eggs are done.
- Place on each plate 2 thin tortillas. Divide and place the egg mixture on top of the tortillas.
- Top each with 2 tablespoons of cheese. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- Serve at once with extra salsa on the side.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 150g|
|Recipe makes 2 servings|
|Calories from Fat 50||21%|
|Total Fat 5.56g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 1.57g||6%|
|Trans Fat 0.05g|
|Total Carbs 35.68g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 8.9g||30%|