The best Portuguese style flame grilled chicken perfected in Mozambique on many fishing trips.
It is a lot of hard work but fun and well worth the effort .
Once tried it will become a firm favourite as a BBQ (BRAAI)
The secret is in the way it is cooked.
Its thirsty work so have plenty of beer on hand for the chef
- 1 Chicken spatchcocked (called a FLATTIE)
- 5tsp crushed Garlic
- 2 tsp coarse salt
- 4 tsp Peri Peri powder (or Chilli -powder)
- 3 TBS virgin Olive Oil
- In a pestle and mortar crush the garlic and salt to form a paste
- Add Peri Peri and mix some more
- Add olive oil and mix very well
- Spatchcock the chicken and slit the edges of the skin to allow you to push the marinade mix under the skin.
- The remainder of the mix smear on the outside of the bird.
- leave to marinade for a minimum of 2 hours preferably much longer ,over nite if possible
- HERE IS THE SECRET
- Make a very hot fire useing Charcoal or a mixture of Charcoal and wood,
- Place chicken in hinged grid and place close to hot coals.(which should have tiny blue flames on them.
- As soon as flame touches chicken turn over and do the other side and repeat.
- This must be done for 30 minutes NOT LONGER
- Depending on the heat of your coals you can be turning every 10 seconds or less .
- The bird must not burn or dry out
- Split the chicken in two length ways and add lots of fresh Lemon Juice
- Serve with a green Salad ,portuguese rolls and chips(french fries) and plentyCold White wine
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 32g|
|Recipe makes 2 servings|
|Calories from Fat 179||95%|
|Total Fat 20.28g||25%|
|Saturated Fat 2.8g||11%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 2.01g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||0%|