"If you've never eaten authentic creole, you truly don't know what you're missing. I discovered this Louisiana favorite while residing there in the Air Force and it was love at first bite. This dish has a very unique taste that defies description. You are doing yourself a serious disservice if you don't give this recipe a try. You can obviously use crawfish rather than shrimp. Crawfish are simply not plentiful where I live. The "heat" of this dish can be controlled nicely by the sausage used.
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 lb andouille (or smoked) sausage cut into 1/4 inch slices
- Â½ cup flour
- 5 tbsp butter (2 tbsp and then 3 tbsp)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 bunch italian parsley (wide leaf), stems and leaves, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups hot water
- 5 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 (14 oz) can stewed tomatoes, with juice
- 2 cups sliced frozen okra
- 4 green onions, sliced, white and green parts
- 14 oz bag (approx) medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
- Cooked rice
- Put 5 bouillon cubes in 4 cups hot water to start desolving.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in heavy bottomed dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Cook the chicken until browned just slightly on both sides and remove.
- Add sausage and cook until browned, then remove.
- Add 5 tbsp of butter and let it melt.
- Slowly sprinkle the flour over the oil/butter mixture stirring constantly.
- Cook over med heat, stirring consantly until the color of peanut butter.
- Add onion, garlic, green pepper and celery and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to taste and the 1/4 bunch italian parsley.
- Cook, while stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes.
- Add 4 cups hot water with bouillon cubes, whisking constantly.
- Add chicken and sausage and green onions.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and okra.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add shrimp and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 447g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 131||58%|
|Total Fat 14.86g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 5.35g||21%|
|Trans Fat 0.18g|
|Total Carbs 16.63g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.4g||8%|