This is an amazingly easy and delicious recipe. The spice rub would be yummy on just about anything I think. I really liked the way the fish cooks by steaming on top of the rice. First, it makes the dish even easier, it saves energy, and it won't heat up your house as much in the summer. More importantly, the fish just melts in your mouth. The rice is also very tasty. Overall, this dish is a real winner!
- 1 pound tilapia, red snapper, catfish, cod of other firm white fleshed fish, cut into 6 fillets (we used tilapia)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp good olive oil
- 1 med yellow onion, diced small
- 4 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 Tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 cups chicken broth + 2/3 cup water
- 1 medium zucchini sliced into 1/4 inch length-wise slices, then sliced lengthwise again at 1/4 inch breaks. Take the resulting pieces and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- For Spice Rub
- Approx 4 teaspoons Coriander Spice Mix (1/4 cup ground coriander, 1 Tbsp each ground ginger, paprika, and coarse salt. 2 tsp ground cumin and 1/2 tsp ground black pepper. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months)
- In a medium sauce pan, heat oil and butter over medium. Add onion and garlic and cook stirring occasionally until the onion is soft, about 4 minutes. Stir in rice and poppy seed and cook 1 minute. Stir in lemon zest and juice, broth, and zucchini and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil over medium high then reduce to simmer, cover, and cook for 13 minutes.
- Sprinkle spice mix liberally over the fish until it is covered as if rubbed. Arrange snugly in a single layer, spice side up, on top of the rice and cook until rice is tender and fish is opaque throughout, about 5-7 minutes.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 198g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 56||16%|
|Total Fat 6.35g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 2.27g||9%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 53.85g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.2g||7%|