Everybody loves barbecued chicken. And when it comes to great chicken flavor, thighs are king! Pound for pound chicken thighs have a much richer flavor than breasts and are more economical. I’m using bone-in thighs and removing the fattening skin before cooking. First baking, smothered in my homemade barbecue sauce and later finishing on the grill or in the broiler, this chicken is fantastic! My homemade sauce is slightly sweet and tangy with a bit of a kick. One delicious, barbecued thigh has 197 calories , 4 grams of fat and 5 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS.
- 12 bone-in chicken thighs (about 3-3Â½ pounds)
- Homemade Kicking Barbecue Sauce
- 1 jar ( 24 oz) pasta sauce, I like Classico Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce
- 1 cup onion, chopped fine
- Â½ cup brown sugar, packed
- â cup honey
- â cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard-prepared">mustard or yellow mustard-prepared">mustard (donât use Dijon)
- 1 tablespoon chili pepper sauce, I like Trader Joeâs brand or Tabasco sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan, combine all the sauce ingredients and cook over medium heat, stirring often for about 15 minutes, until well blended.
- While sauce is heating, remove all skin from chicken thighs. Place thighs in a 13Ã9 inch Pyrex dish or pan lined with foil.
- Set aside 2 cups barbecue sauce for later. Pour remaining sauce over chicken. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- To finish off the chicken, broil or cook on the grill.
- To broil: Place chicken on a foil lined baking sheet. Cover chicken with half the remaining sauce. Broil for about 5 minutes until chicken is caramelized. Turn over, spread with remaining sauce and broil for about 5 more minutes until caramelized.
- To grill: Prepare grill to cook at medium heat. Brush chicken with barbecue sauce and cook until caramelized, about 5 minutes. Turn chicken over, brush with more sauce and cook about 5 more minutes until caramelized.
- ***For more skinny recipes, please join me at http://www.skinnykitchen.com
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 85g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 15||16%|
|Total Fat 1.65g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0.41g||2%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 18.88g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.8g||6%|