To me, navy bean soup is a requirement once the weather cools off. This is a meatless version that includes dice potatoes and crisp green beans added at the very end of cooking.A hambone or a smoked turkey wing would be yummy!
- 1lb navy/small white beans soaked overnight
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 4 c. water
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 small onion- small chop
- 2 stalks celery- small chop
- 2 carrots- thin sliced
- 1 c. green beens- 1 inch pieces
- 1 c. roma tomato- diced
- handful italian parsley - chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- In your favorite large soup pot, combine beans, broth, water and garlic.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a gentle simmer over low heat. (You would add your smoked ham or turkey piece at this point)
- Allow beans to simmer for 1 hour or so until they are tender but not mush.
- Add potatoes, carrots, celery, green beans and tomatoes and salt/pepper to taste and continue over low heat another 15 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and toss in chopped parsley.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 361g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 6||4%|
|Total Fat 0.68g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0.17g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 30.97g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 9.4g||31%|