Thanks to Ellie Kreiger for this healthy and zippy dip - just the thing on a day when you're cooped up, watching movies or a sporting event. It comes together quickly and is ready to enjoy with your favorite chips. I like it as a side with Chicken Enchiladas Suizas.
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/2 C yellow onion ( a medium-small)
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground coriander
- 1 15oz can of black beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 T coarsely chopped cilantro (+ a little more to garnish)
- 1-1/2 T fresh lime juice (I use key limes)
- 2 tsp seeded, minced chipotle (chipotle in adobo) That's about 1 pepper. If you like it with more kick, leave the seeds.
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Heat 1 T of the oil in a medium sauce pan, medium heat. Sweat the onion until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garli, cumin, and coriander. Cook about 30 seconds. Turn off the heat.
- Add the beans, cilantro, lime juice, chipotle, salt and pepper and the remaining 1 T of oil + 1 T of water and puree until smooth with your immersion blender. Ellie uses a food processor, but, hey, its a delicious dip, so why make extra clean-up work!
- Garnish with a sprinkle of chopped cilantro and I like a finishing drizzle of oilive oil.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 115g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 33||10%|
|Total Fat 3.82g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 0.7g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 59.61g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 14.7g||49%|