Cost per serving $0.74 view details
- 2 large eggplants (the bigger the betterâ¦no pun intended)
- 3 eggs, divided
- Dash of milk
- 1 Â½ cups panko bread crumbs
- Â¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese (like Kraft parmesan cheese)
- 2 Tbsp Italian seasoning, divided
- 15 oz. ricotta cheese
- Â½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus 1/3 cup for garnish
- 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 (10 oz.) package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 cups your favorite marinara sauce (jarred or homemade), separated
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil*
- *Note: I use a spray canister for my olive oil in this recipe, as to not drown the eggplant in oil. If you do not have one of these, use cooking spray or LIGHTLY drizzle in oil when cooking.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the top and bottom off of your eggplants. Using a sharp knife, peel the entire eggplant.
- Then, cut lengthwise until you have cut uniform âstripsâ of eggplant. I was able to cut eight strips from each of mine.
- Mix breadcrumbs, grated cheese, 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning and salt and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk two of the eggs together with a dash of milk and salt and pepper.
- Dredge each eggplant strip on both sides into egg mixture and then into breadcrumb/cheese mixture. Place on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray or olive oil. Continue until all are done. You will need two cookie sheets.
- Lightly spray the side of the eggplant thatâs facing up with olive oil. Bake for 30 minutes, turning half way through and ensuring the other side is sprayed with oil when you flip it over.
- While eggplant is cooking, mix together ricotta, spinach, parsley, additional tablespoon of Italian seasoning, Â½ tsp salt, Â¼ tsp pepper and the remaining egg.
- When the eggplant is done (they should be a gorgeous, golden brown), place on a cutting board one strip at a time. Turn oven heat down to 350.
- Place 1 cup of marinara sauce in a 9 x 13 x 2 baking dish.
- Place ~ 1 Tbsp cheese mixture at the end of the eggplant furthest away from you. I found that it was easiest to sort of smash it down with the back of a spoon. Roll eggplant as though you would a jelly roll â staring from the furthest end and rolling toward you. Place eggplant, seal side down, into baking dish.
- Continue until you have finished your 16 rolls.
- Top each roll with 1 Tbsp marinara and 1 tsp fresh parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes until filling is warm.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 152g|
|Recipe makes 16 servings|
|Calories from Fat 71||40%|
|Total Fat 7.92g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 3.9g||16%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 16.64g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.4g||11%|