Cost per serving $1.91 view details
- 2 Tbsp. salt
- 3 lrg eggplants - (abt 4 lbs) peeled, and cut into quarters lengthwise
- 4 slc day-old bread
- 1 x egg - (to 2)
- 3/4 c. freshly-grated pecorino divided
- 2 x garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/4 c. minced Italian parsley
- 1/2 c. fresh bread crumbs
- 1 c. extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil for frying
- Bring 6 qts of water to a boil and add in 2 Tbsp. salt. Add in the eggplants and boil 10 min. Dip the bread in the water and remove, squeezing to drain the water and set aside.
- Remove the eggplants from the water and drain well. When the eggplants have cooled, coarsely chop them and place them in the work bowl of a food processor. Add in the soaked bread and 1 egg and pulse to create a somewhat homogenous paste adding more egg if necessary. Add in 1/2 c. pecorino, garlic and parsley and continue to pulse till a smooth yet somewhat dry mix is formed. Don't over-process.
- Turn the mix into a mixing bowl and place bread crumbs on a large plate. Using your hands and working quickly, roll the eggplant mix into balls with a 1/2-inch diameter and roll each ball in the bread crumbs to coat. Hold each ball on a sheet tray.
- In a heavy-bottomed skillet, heat the extra virgin olive oil till just smoking. Cook the eggplant balls in the oil a few at a time, for 6 to 7 min, till dark golden, turning gently with a wooden spoon to proportionately brown all sides. Remove to a tray or possibly plate lined with paper towels. Sprinkle with the remaining pecorino and serve.
- This recipe yields 6 servings.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 273g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 347||71%|
|Total Fat 39.18g||49%|
|Saturated Fat 5.79g||23%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 30.29g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.4g||25%|