This eggplant caponata recipe I started making in Italy. It began to change it while working and living in Miami. I perfected this recipe in my own place in New York's Little Italy.
This is quite simply one of the best eggplant caponata recipes.
"UP Town" Recipe from a down town Chef.
- Eggplants - 5 medium ( large dice)
- Green Olives - 2 cups
- Celery - 5 ribs( fine dice)
- Pine nuts - 1 cup
- Raisins - 1 cup ( golden)
- Salt + Pepper(black fresh cracked) - to taste
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 1 quart
- Rosemary - 4-6 (medium sprigs)
- Thyme - 10-12 (sprigs)
- Garlic - 5 whole garlic cloves lightly crushed and pealed
- Onions - 5 finely chopped
- Garlic - 1/4 cup finely chopped
- Basil - One cup loosely packed and rough chopped
- Italian Parsley - One cup loosely packed and rough chopped
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - to taste
- Red wine - 3 cups
- Whole tomatoes - 2 cans (crushed)
- Red wine vinegar - 3 cups
- Sugar - 2 cups
- Step 1:
- Combine the EVO,rosemary,thyme,black pepper,and crushed garlic cloves. (Let sit 24-48 hours before using)
- Lightly salt the diced eggplants and press in a female pan with a drip pan underneath(for approximately 30-40 min.)
- Blanch the green olives ( no salt in water) for 30 seconds
- Blanch the fine dice of celery for 30 seconds ( can use same water as olives just blanch the celery first)
- Shock and cool both in an Ice bath.
- Toast the Pine nuts slightly
- Heat oil in large saute pan, or heat deep fat fryer to 350 degrees (make sure Oil is Clean!)
- Fry the eggplants lightly, remove on to absorbent paper lined tray, sprinkle LIGHTLY with salt.
- Step 2: Tomato Sauce
- Saute onion until translucent (no color) saure the garlic separately lightly color then add to the onions.
- add the red wine and reduce by 3/4.
- Add the tomatoes, stir well, cook on a simmer 1 1/2 - 2 hours
- at the last 10 minutes add the Italian parsley and basil.
- puree all and pass .
- Step 3: Gastrique
- Combine the sugar and vinegar and stir together well
- reduce by half over medium heat
- Careful not to Burn!
- Step 4 : Assemble the Caponata
- mix the eggplant, celery , pine nuts , raisins , tomato sauce(to bind-not all if not necessary), olives and gastrique (syrup) in a large bowl.
- season with salt, black pepper and the herb oil to taste.
- Place in a serving dish, sprinkle with fresh shaved Parmesan cheese at the very last minute!
- This keep well if stored in a an air tight container in the fridge for up to one week.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 516g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 1078||76%|
|Total Fat 122.29g||153%|
|Saturated Fat 16.28g||65%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 64.36g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.4g||18%|