If you go and google Vegan Chocolate Cake or Eggless Chocolate Cake, this is one of the most popular recipe you will run across in several sites. Looks like this whacky vegan chocolate cake recipe is around for years and is a definite keeper. I just made a few changes to suit my preferences by substituting All purpose flour with Whole Wheat flour and refined sugar with raw sugar. Absolutely moist and delicious, the apple cide vinegar used in the cake is not reflected in the taste at all.
I have made this cake several times with whole wheat flour alone and whole wheat pastry flour alone. The regular whole wheat gives a very dense texture and the whole wheat pastry flour gives a crumbly texture, the combination of these two give a soft, moist and real nice texture. Also in the photo above, I made it using 1/4 Cup butter instead of Oil but it gives a slightly lighter color. This recipe works well only with Oil and not so good with butter. You can see the difference in color in the photo below made using Oil.
- White Whole Wheat Flour -1 Cup
- Whole Wheat Pastry Flour - 1/2 Cup
- Baking Soda - 1 Tsp
- Salt - 1/4 Tsp
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder - 1/4 Cup
- Vanilla Extract - 1 Tsp
- Unflavoured Oil like Sunflower oil - 1/3 Cup
- Raw sugar - 3/4 Cup
- Warm water - 1 Cup
- Apple Cide Vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- 1) To the Warm water add the raw sugar and let this sit while we get ready with the other things. The raw sugar has a coarse texture, so it gives a rough and uneven surface on the top when baked as it is. So by dissolving it little bit the coarse surface can be avoided.
- 2) Preheat oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenhiet.
- 3) Sieve the White Whole Wheat Flour and Pastry flour, to this add salt and baking soda and make a well in the center.
- 3) To the water and sugar mixture, add the cocoa powder and combine to form a nice brown paste, to this add the oil and combine.
- 5) Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and combine without over mixing. If you over mix, the gluten in the wheat hardens and you will get hard, dense cake. It is ok to have some lumps.
- 6) Line a baking pan with parchment paper or cup cake moulds with cup cake liner.
- 7) To the cake mix, add the apple cider vinegar and combine. You will see the batter is raising, pour the batter to the lined baking pan and bake till a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- 8) Cool completely on a wire rack.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 48g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 2||2%|
|Total Fat 0.2g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.03g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 24.12g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.9g||3%|