Black Forest cake consists of several layers of chocolate cake, with whipped cream and cherries between each layer. Then the cake is decorated with additional whipped cream, maraschino cherries, and chocolate shavings.
I made this Black Forest Cake exactly a year before and wanted to make it with Whole Wheat and with no refined sugar and with minimally processed ingredients without any additives. I decided to make two layers of Whole Wheat Chocolate Cake then fill the layers, sides and top with Heavy Cream whipped with Xylitol. The toughest part was to find cherries, because it wasn't in season and the cherry pie filling or canned cherries all had high fructose corn syrup which I don't buy and was finally able to get hold of the Tillen Farms brand which had whole cherries in water and sugar. This is a very easy to make cake and is absolutely delicious, well worth the effort.
- Ingredients for the Cake
- White Whole Wheat Flour - 2 Cup
- Whole Wheat Pastry Flour - 1 Cup
- Baking Soda - 2 Tsp
- Salt - 1/4 Tsp
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder - 1/2 Cup
- Vanilla Extract - 2 Tsp
- Unflavoured Oil like Sunflower oil - 2/3 Cup
- Raw sugar - 1 1/2 Cup
- Warm water - 2 Cups
- Apple Cide Vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- For the cake please look into the Basic Chocolate Cake Recipe and bake two 9" inch cake and cool them in a wire rack and set them aside.
- Ingredients for the Whipped Cream Frosting
- Heavy Cream - 1 Pint(Increase this if you want a thick layer of frosting)
- Xylitol - 1/4 Cup (Adjust this to your sweetness level)
- Clear Vanilla extract - 1 Tsp
- 1) Beat the heavy cream till stiff peaks. (This will take at least 10 to 15 Minutes)
- 2) Add the vanilla extract and Xylitol to your sweetness and beat once to combine nicely.
- 3) Take the frosting and apply it one side of each cake and set them aside.
- Ingredients for the Cherry Filling
- All Natural Raspberry Fruit Preserves - 18 oz (Sweetened with fruit juices and no added sugar)
- Merry Maraschino Cherries - 14 oz
- Water - 1/4 Cup
- Drain and rinse the cherries. Keep aside few cherries for decorating the top.
- Add the fruit preserves, water to a blender and blend till smooth, to this add the halved cherries and simmer for 5 minutes and let this cool.
- Take this simmered fruit preserve with cherries and spread evenly to one of the cake layered with whipped cream frosting.
- Now take the other cake spread with whipped cream frosting and place it gently on top of the cake layered with whipped cream and cherry preserves.
- Now take the rest of the whipped cream and using a spatula spread on the top and the sides.
- Finishing Touches
- 1/4 of 72% Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Bar grated into chocolate shavings.
- Take handful of these chocolate shavings and slowly put on the top and the side portions, decorate the top with cherries.
- Refrigerate overnight and serve. The xylitol in the whipping cream, gives an ice cream effect to the whole black forest cake.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 76g|
|Recipe makes 16 servings|
|Calories from Fat 2||1%|
|Total Fat 0.29g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.05g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 36.21g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g||4%|