I had to bake a cake for my elder one's birthday two weeks before and we don't eat eggs at my home. We don't use refined flours and sugars and my husband is off gluten , grain, all fructose(including honey and maple syrup). So the criteria was to make a cake without eggs, no gluten, no grain, no sugar(replacing with Xylitol or Stevia) was a big challenge. I use almond flour for cookies, crackers extensively but still haven't nailed down a recipe using xylitol and almond flour for regular cakes. With limited ingredient options and after a lot of thought I decided to go with a cheese cake which every one in the family can enjoy. A normal cheese cake consists of three layers the crust, middle layer and topping. All I had to do is to make substitutes with ingredients I am allowed to work with and finally nailed down this recipe in my second attempt. The result - this fantastic cheese cake made from scratch which tasted super delicious. That too if you are on a dietary restriction like us, then this recipe is a keeper.
- For the Crust -
- Almond Flour Scones made out of 2 Cups of Almond Flour or 2 Cups of any cookies crushed
- Ghee or Melted Butter - 1/4 Cup(If using Almond flour scones otherwise increase this slightly)
- For Filling -
- 8 oz Organic Cream Cheese Bars - 2
- Organic Sour Cream - 16 oz
- Organic Chopped Strawberries - 1 1/2 Cups
- Vanilla extract - 1 Tsp
- Ener-g Egg Replace - 3 Tsp
- Warm Water -2 Tbsp
- Xylitol - 1/3 cup or to taste.
- For Topping
- Heavy Cream - 2 Cups
- Xylitol - 1/4 Cup or to taste
- Vanilla extract - 1 Tsp
- For the Crust
- 1) In a food processor place the almond flour scones and run through till they are powdered (few seconds).
- 2) Heat the ghee or butter and once they are melted and warm, add them slowly to the powdered crumbs and combine well. (When you take a handful and make a ball, they should be able to hold together).
- 3) Take a 9 Inch Spring Foam pan with a removable bottom, line the base with parchment paper and take the almond flour crumbs and using your hands press them evenly to form a nice base.
- 4) Refrigerate for an hour or two till the crust is well set.
- For the filling
- 1) Preheat oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenhiet.
- 2) Beat the egg replacer and warm water till fronthy. Using stand mixer with paddles or a hand blender beat the cream cheese, sour cream, xylitol and vanilla extract till well combined. (Taste and add more Xylitol if required). To this add the egg replacer with liquid and combine well.
- 3) Add the chopped strawberries and combine till well mixed.
- 4) Remove the spring foam from the refrigerator and pour the filling and using a ladle smooth out the top and tap the pan gently to remove any air bubbles.
- 5) Now place the spring foam tray on top of a baking tray and bake for 30-40 minutes till well set, not sticking but will be still slightly wobbly. (Placing the spring foam pan on a baking tray is very important, do not place the spring foam pan directly in the oven and bake).
- 6) Remove this cool and refrigerate overnight.
- For the topping
- 1) Take the cold heavy cream and whip till stiff peak forms.
- 2) Add the vanilla extract and xylitol and whip till well combined (Taste the whipped cream and add more xylitol if required).
- 3) Take out the baked cheese cake, loosen the spring foam pan and remove the cheese cake.
- 4) Now take out the whipped cream and spread on the top and pipe if any remaining to decorate.
- 5) Refrigerate for 2-3 hours and then serve chilled.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 72g|
|Recipe makes 16 servings|
|Calories from Fat 136||87%|
|Total Fat 15.48g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 9.11g||36%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 2.91g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.3g||1%|