Cost per recipe $3.36 view details
- Â Â Your favorite ff sauteeing liquid
- 1/2 lrg Onion, diced
- 1 med Red or possibly green bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalk celery, diced
- 2 x Cloves garlic, chopped or possibly pressed
- 2 lrg Carrots, diced
- 2 med Red potatoes, skins on, diced
- 3/4 c. Lentils, rinsed well and liquid removed
- 1 x Brocolli stems, peeled and diced (up to 2)
- 3/4 c. Frzn corn (up to 1)
- 1/2 x Chipotle pepper (dry not canned) crushed (OPTIONAL)
- 1 can (32-ounce) V-8 juice (sodium reduced works fine)
- Â Â Salt and pepper to taste
- Â Â Water or possibly a lightly-flavored vegetable broth
- Â Â Vecon or possibly other concentrated vegetable bullion (OPTIONAL)
- In a very warm dutch oven (preferrably non-stick), heat the sauteeing liquid, and saute/fry the onion, red or possibly green bell pepper and celery. Stir often to avoid burning but let them caramelize. Once they begin to get translucent/soft, add in the garlic, carrots, and brocolli stems. Saute/fry for a few min.
- Add in the rinsed, liquid removed lentils, and 1/2 c. v-8 juice and 1/2 c. water or possibly vegetable broth. OPTIONAL: add in vegetable bullion at this point if you like.
- Add in salt and pepper to taste and a tiny healthy pinch of the crushed chipotle pepper.
- Note: You do not have to use salt at all...I use tiny bits of kosher salt in this soup...no more than 1/4 tsp for the entire recipe.
- Let this mix simmer for about 10 min. Add in the diced potato and frzn corn. Add in 1 c. each v-8 juice and water. Taste the mix and add in more salt, pepper, and chipotle pepper.
- Let this simmer for 10 min. You may need to add in more liquid depending on how thin you like the broth. The soup is done when lentils are cooked but not mushy and potatoes are hard but not mushy.
- Serve with home-made whole wheat bread.
- Options: Use sweet potato in addition or possibly instead of the red potato. Add in 1/2 box frzn minced spinach. Use tomato sauce instead of V-8 juice.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 973g|
|Calories from Fat 30||3%|
|Total Fat 3.44g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 0.59g||2%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 197.8g||53%|
|Dietary Fiber 59.3g||198%|