Make these easy red beans to go along with chicken or pork, or use them to make red beans and rice.
Cost per serving $0.88 view details
- 1 (16 oz.) bag dried red kidney beans
- 1 small onion, cut in half
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- Rinse beans well and discard any stones or shriveled beans.
- Place beans in a large (5 qt.) saucepan, with enough water to cover by about 2 inches. Cover pot and let beans soak overnight.
- Drain beans and return to pot. Add onion, garlic, bay leaf, and 6 cups water; heat to boiling on high. Reduce heat to medium-low and partially cover. Simmer for 45 minutes to one hour, or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Drain beans, reserving 1 Â½ cups cooking liquid if making red beans and rice. Discard bay leaf. Use Easy Red Beans for Red Beans and Rice. If not using beans immediately, cover and refrigerate or freeze.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 92g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 5||7%|
|Total Fat 0.52g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0.13g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 12.59g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.4g||15%|