This is a print preview of "Eastern European Perogies" recipe.
Eastern European Perogies Recipe
6 c. flour
10 ounce. lowfat sour cream
4 Large eggs
1 1/2 tbsp. salt
1 1/2 tbsp. baking pwdr
- FOR FILLING: Combine mashed potatoes, grated cheese, melted butter and 4 Large eggs. Separate remaining egg and put yolk into the filling, the white into a small bowl and set aside.
- An empty soup can may be used to make circles out of rolled dough. Egg white is used to seal filling inside dough circles.
- FOR DOUGH: Combine ingredients for dough, adding a sprinkling of water if necessary. Roll out dough, press out circles.
- Brush egg white all around inner edge of circles. Put 1 Tbsp. filling in center; top with another circle and press with fork to seal edges together.
- Prepare to cook perogies. Put water into deep pot and bring to boil. Drop perogies into water a few at a time. They will sink to the bottom and when they float to the surface, remove and drain. Repeat till all perogies are cooked.
- In heavy skillet heat butter and add in onions. Cook onion till transparent; add in perogies and fry golden brown. Serve warm with onion.
- Prepare to freeze: dust with flour, put on cookie sheet and freeze. When ready to use, put frzn pierogi in boiling water and proceed as above.