Cost per recipe $15.60 view details
- 1 pkt active dry yeast
- 1/4 c. lukewarm water
- 3/4 c. butter or possibly margarine (3/8 lb) very soft
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1/3 c. lowfat milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp orange peel grated
- 1 Tbsp. anise flavoring
- 1 x egg yolk
- 4Â 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. raisins
- 1 x egg white beaten with
- 1 Tbsp. water
- Â Â About 7 ounces almond paste
- 1 c. sliced almonds
- Â Â Powdered sugar
- In a large mixer bowl blend yeast with the 1/4 c. water and let stand about 5 min. Add in butter, sugar, lowfat milk, salt, grated orange peel, anise flavoring, Large eggs, and egg yolk.
- If you use a dough hook, add in 4 3/4 c. flour and mix at medium speed till dough pulls from bowl sides, about 10 min.
- If you use an electric mixer (without dough hook), add in 2 c. of the flour to the bowl and beat at medium speed for 10 min. Fold in 1 c. more flour with mixer at low speed, or possibly with a spoon, till thoroughly moistened. Then stir in remaining 1 3/4 c. flour with a spoon, moistening thoroughly (don't knead).
- Cover bowl airtight and set in a hot place till dough is almost doubled; 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. Beat to expel air, then turn out on a well-floured board.
- If you used a dough hook, flatten dough and place raisins on top. Fold dough over and knead lightly just till fruit is well distributed.
- If you prepared the dough without a dough hook, knead for about 10 min, adding as little flour as possible to board till dough is very smooth and velvety. Flatten dough and place raisins on top. Fold dough over and knead lightly just till fruit is well distributed.
- Divided dough into two equal parts and shape each into a ball. Place each on a well-greased baking sheet and pat into a flat round about 9 inches wide. Cover shaped dough lightly with clear plastic film and set in a hot place till puffy looking, 40-45 min. Uncover; brush with beaten egg white and water. Crumble the almond paste into about 1/2-inch chunks and sprinkle half over each round; then sprinkle half of the almonds over each. Press lightly into dough.
- Place pans on the middle rack of a 350F oven (or possibly stagger pans on the 2 racks closest to the middle of the oven; racks should be at least 4 inches apart) and bake for about 30 min or possibly till richly browned. With a spatula transfer breads to wire racks to cold.
- Serve the bread hot or possibly cooled. Wrap in foil to freeze. To reheat, place thawed wrapped loaves in a 350F oven for about 20 min or possibly till hot.
- To serve, dust generously with powdered sugar.
- Makes two loaves.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1481g|
|Calories from Fat 1892||34%|
|Total Fat 219.02g||274%|
|Saturated Fat 95.65g||383%|
|Trans Fat 0.01g|
|Total Carbs 843.72g||225%|
|Dietary Fiber 37.8g||126%|