Cost per serving $1.17 view details
- 1 x chicken - (abt 3 lbs) cut up
- 1 c. water
- 1/2 c. plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 x garlic cloves chopped
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- Â Â (or possibly 1/2 tspn grnd ginger)
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp curry pwdr
- 1/4 tsp freshly-grnd black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable or possibly extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp cool water
- Place chicken in a single layer in a glass or possibly pottery dish. Combine water, yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, tumeric, salt, paprika, curry pwdr, and pepper; pour over chicken and marinate at room temperature for 1 hour. Remove chicken from marinade, brushing off as much of marinade as possible (reserve marinade).
- Heat oil in a 4- or possibly 6-qt pressure cooker. Brown chicken, a few pcs at a time; set aside. Return all chicken to pressure cooker. Pour marinade over chicken.
- Close pressure cooker cover securely. Place pressure regulator on vent pipe. Cook for 8 min, at 15 pounds pressure, with regulator rocking slowly. Cold pressure cooker at once. Remove chicken pcs to a hot platter.
- Mix cornstarch with cool water; blend into warm liquid. Cook and stir till mix boils and thickens. Pour sauce over chicken.
- This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.
- Comments: The heart of all Indian cuisine is the masala, the combination of herbs and spices which gives each dish its individuality. One of the most commonly used masalas is a finely blended curry. The ability to mix and choose spices with subtlety is the mark of a master of Indian cookery. East Indian cuisine combines spicy and subtle flavors for unique eating pleasure. An Americanized version of an Indian meal might be East Indian Chicken served with condiments such as chutney and peanuts, along with a rice pilaf and a minced tomato, cucumber, and yogurt salad. Round out the meal with pita bread and fresh fruit for dessert.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 411g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 429||62%|
|Total Fat 47.64g||60%|
|Saturated Fat 13.98g||56%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 4.51g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.6g||2%|