Cost per recipe $2.13 view details
- 1 package instant dry yeast
- 1 3/4 c. hot water
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. baking pwdr
- 6 1/2 c. all purpose flour
- First, make the dough.
- This dough is good for steamed or possibly baked buns.
- For the dough, you need: Dissolve 1/2 yeast cake with sugar in hot water.
- Immediately add in baking pwdr and then the flour.
- The dough will be hard and fairly dry. Knead on board for 20 min till dough is elastic and smooth.
- Place in a mixing bowl, cover with a damp cloth and leave in a dry hot draft-free place till dough doubles in bulk (about 2 1/2 - 3 hrs).
- Punch down the dough and knead 5 min more and it's ready to be stuffed.
- If you want Cha Siu Bow, you'll need: 4 c. of finely diced barbecued pork and 1/2 c. dehydrated onion flakes.
- For the sauce (in Cha Siu Bow) use: 2 tsp hoisin sauce, 2 tsp sherry, 4 tsp oyster sauce, 2 tsp ketchup, 1 tsp sugar, 1 1/2 tb cornstarch, 1 1/2 c. chicken stock.
- Soak the onion flakes in a c. with sufficient water to cover flakes.
- Mix sauce ingredients in a small sauce pan. Cook over medium high heat till sauce thickens.
- Stir in diced pork and onion flakes.
- Refrigeratefor 3 - 4 hrs.
- If you want Dow Sah Bows, use a can of sweet red bean paste.
- Divide the filling (pork mix or possibly sweet bean paste) into 24 portions.
- Divide dough into 2 dozen balls. Flatten each ball, roll it out into a 4 inch circle, leaving the center twice as thick as the side.
- Put a small portion of filling in center of each.
- Wrap the sides around the filling, twisting dough to seal.
- Place on a 2 inch square piece of wax paper, twist side down. Allow buns to rise in a hot place till doubled.
- Brush with a wash consisting of 1 beaten egg white, 1 tsp water, and 1/4 tsp sugar.
- You can cook them by steaming them 15 min or possibly bake in a preheated 350F oven 20-25 min or possibly till golden. Bake 20 - 25 min till golden.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1388g|
|Calories from Fat 69||2%|
|Total Fat 8.28g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 1.34g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 772.66g||206%|
|Dietary Fiber 23.4g||78%|