I was trying new things. I asked around for a way to cook with my goat cheese i had just bought and tried for the first time. I had mentioned to someone that i was making steaks. They suggested to put the goat cheese on the steak. Thank you Laura for the idea.
Easy meal Looks like it is for 2 feeds 4-6.
- 2 - 1 inch thick Delmonico steaks
- 2 cups of sliced button or baby portabella mushrooms
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 of a large onion or 1 medium onion minced
- 1/4 cup of red wine
- 4 1/2 inch slices of goat cheese
- 4 tbsp olive oil (1 tbsp for mushrooms 3 for the steaks
- fresh cracked pepper and sea salt.
- Season steaks with fresh cracked pepper and sea salt. Wrap steaks in paper towels and allow to rest out side of the fridge for at least 15-20 min in a ziplock bag.
- Remove from paper towels rub 2 of the minced garlic cloves and all but 2 tbsp of minced onion in to the meat pressing it deep in the surface.
- Turn grill on high. I prep my grill using a salt water solution to clean the grates (1/2 cup salt water to 2 cups of hot water in a shallow bowl. Using grill brush i dip in to the water and then to a hot grill cleaning the grates and giving a salty cure to the grill) Close grill and allow grates to heat back up
- Pull cheese from fridge to allow to rest and soften more.
- Pat steaks to assure they are not wet. Rub with olive oil place on hot grill. Allow to cook 4 min.
- Turn heat down to a medium high heat turn meat (moving to a section of the grill that was not used allowing for the hot grate to create beautiful grill marks. I allow to cook for apx 4 more min on that side.
- Turn heat back to high (we want to sear the meat then cook it slower.)
- Turn steaks and repeat steps. Cooking time on steaks might vary depending on the temp of grill.
- Remove from grill and place on to a warm plate (as to not chill the steaks) and place under a foil tent to rest.
- Place slices of goat cheese on top of steaks.This will allow the cheese to slightly melt from the heat of the steak while it is resting.
- In a saute pan add 3 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat add garlic and remainder 2 tbsp of onion.Add to the saute pan the mushrooms do not over crowd the pan you want them to saute not steam.
- Once they have a light brown to both sides of the mushroom add the red wine to the pan. Should be just enough wine to coat the mushrooms not cover. Mushrooms will not be saucy just kissed with wine.
- Top the cheese on the steaks with the mushrooms.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 113g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 121||77%|
|Total Fat 13.65g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 1.9g||8%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 5.85g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.4g||5%|