Given below is a pumpkin bread recipe healthy with a tasty brown sugar topping that adds a twist to the traditional pumpkin bread that your guests and family will love. You can even prepare the bread up to 2 weeks in advance and then warm it up in the microwave before serving.
- Items needed:
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup of coarsely ground cornmeal
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/2 cups of pumpkin puree
- 1 cup of plain non-fat yogurt
- 1/3 cup of applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 cups of dried cranberries
- For the brown sugar topping:
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 2 tablespoons of butter (softened)
- - In a mixing bowl, mix the brown sugar topping ingredients together using a fork to get a crumbly mixture. Set aside.
- - Grease and flour two 9x5 inch baking loaf pans; this recipe makes two bread loaves of 12 slices each.
- - Preheat the oven to 350F.
- - In a deep bowl, take the eggs and egg whites and beat them together.
- - Add the yogurt and applesauce to the mix and blend well.
- - In a separate bowl, mix the flour, wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger, cornmeal and brown sugar. Break any lumps of brown sugar before mixing.
- - Add the dry ingredients to the egg mix, a little at a time, and mix well to get a smooth batter without any lumps.
- - Add the pumpkin puree to the mix and blend well.
- - Stir in the cranberries.
- - Pour the batter in the greased pans and smooth the tops.
- - Sprinkle the brown sugar topping on the bread batter.
- - Bake the bread in the oven at 350F for 55-60 minutes. At the end of the baking time a skewer inserted in the middle of the bread should come out clean.
- - Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for about 5-10 minutes.
- - Remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack completely.
- - Cut in slices to serve.
- Here is a delicious butterscotch frosting recipe that will go perfectly with the delicious bread.
- Items needed:
- - 1/2 cup of butterscotch sauce
- - 1 cup of powdered sugar
- - Whisk the sauce and powdered sugar together to get a smooth mix of spreading consistency.
- - Spread on the bread slices, serve with warm coffee and enjoy.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 455g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 145||15%|
|Total Fat 16.73g||21%|
|Saturated Fat 6.45g||26%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 204.81g||55%|
|Dietary Fiber 10.4g||35%|