- 400 gm duck meat (debone and marinate with salt, chicken bouillon and cornstarch for 40 min)
- 10 gm XO sauce
- 180 gm shrimp paste
- 10 gm garlic
- 10 gm shallot
- 40 gm Chinese wine
- 10 gm salt
- 10 gm chicken bouillon
- 100 gm lettuce (garnishing)
- 150 gm carrot (garnishing)
- 200 gm cornstarch
- MethodBOIL water. Blanch duck meat to remove excess fat. Hang duck to dry for a couple of hrs. Spread shrimp paste over duck meat proportionately. Heat wok with oil and deep fry duck meat.
- To prepare sauce:Heat wok with oil and fry shallot, garlic and XO sauce. Lastly add Chinese wine and season to taste. Pour sauce over dish and serve.
- Taste and Tell:This dish is presented as diamond-shaped slices with shrimp paste for base and duck meat on top. Each slice is garnished with XO sauce. The slices remind me of steamed yam cake.
- The shrimp paste is a winner as it is springy and flavoursome. The duck meat is fried to a crisp but there is less of the lean meat. XO sauce is not the liquid gravy but in dry form, distinguished by crispy shredded scallops and dry prawns.