Raise your hand if you love mac and cheese. If you’re hand is up, you’re going to really love this incredible mac and cheese. It truly has it all. Meat, pasta and vegetables baked in a rich Alfredo sauce. Maybe you’ve noticed, I’m a little obsessed lately with using a light Alfredo sauce in many of my dishes but I just love this rich, tasting sauce. It’s so versatile. In this casserole, it allows you to add a lot less cheese that’s normally used to make mac and cheese. But, this dish couldn’t taste any richer, bordering obscene!!! The skinny for 1 serving is 277 calories, 8.7 grams of fat and 7 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. My husband said it’s his very favorite recipe right now and he loves decadent tasting meals. Simply fabulous!
- 1Â½ cups (6 oz) uncooked whole wheat or whole grain penne pasta, I used Barilla Whole Grain
- Â½ pound extra lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped (about 1 medium)
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 (10-oz) container Buitoni refrigerated light Alfredo sauce, see shopping tip
- Â½ cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- Fresh black pepper, to taste
- Topping Ingredient
- Â½ cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350Â°F. Spray 2Â½ -quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray. Cook pasta to desired doneness as directed on package. Drain.
- In large nonstick skillet, cook and break up ground beef over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Stir in the fresh garlic. Continue to cook for about 2 minutes or until beef is browned. Pour into a colander and drain all the fat. Add back to pan.
- In the meantime, add the zucchini and onions to a microwave safe plate. Cook in microwave for about 4 minutes, until soft. Add to pan of browned beef. Stir in cooked pasta, Alfredo sauce, cottage cheese, tomato and a little pepper. Mix well. Spoon mixture into sprayed casserole.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top of casserole.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until thoroughly heated and cheese is melted.
- Shopping Tips
- Use Buitoni Light Alfredo Sauce, if possible. It comes in a 10 ounce container and can be found in most supermarkets in the refrigerator section, where fresh pasta and sauces are displayed. If you canât find it, there are several brands of jarred light Alfredo sauce in the pasta aisle. They come in a larger, 15 ounce jar, so youâll have some leftover.
- For more skinny recipes, pleas join me at http;//skinnykitchen.com
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 148g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 91||52%|
|Total Fat 10.2g||13%|
|Saturated Fat 4.88g||20%|
|Trans Fat 0.36g|
|Total Carbs 8.18g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.4g||5%|