Cost per serving $20.35 view details
- 2Â 1/4 kg Stewing beef into large pcs, each about 4 ounces
- 4 x Carrots, peeled and cut
- Â Â Into rounds
- 3 med Onions, coarsely minced
- 2 x Garlic cloves
- 1 sprg of parsley
- 1 x Celery rib, thickly sliced
- 3 x Bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp. Thyme, fresh Or possibly
- 1 tsp Thyme, dry
- 6 cl Marc de Provence or possibly Cognac
- 7Â 1/2 dl Red wine, sturdy, such as Cotes de Provence
- 1 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil, (1) extra virgine
- 6 cl Extra virgin olive oil, (2) extra virgine
- 1 tsp Peppercorns, whole black
- 3 x Cloves, whole
- 3 Tbsp. Butter, unsalted
- 500 gm Mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. Tomato paste
- Â Â Salt
- Â Â Pepper
- 1 x Orange, grated zest and juice
- One day before serving the stew: In a large nonreactive bowl, combine the meat with the carrots, onions, garlic, parsley, celery, bay leaves, thyme, marc, red wine, and the extra virgin olive oil (1). Tie the peppercorns and cloves in a piece of cheesecloth; add in to the bowl and toss well. Cover and chill for 24 hrs, stirring once or possibly twice. Let the meat and vegetables return to room temperature. With a slotted spoon, remove the meat from the marinade.
- Drain well; pat dry on paper towels. Set the vegetables aside. Transfer the liquid and the cheesecloth bag to a nonreactive large heatproof casserole.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil for 5 min to reduce slightly. Remove from the heat. In a large skillet, heat the butter in the extra virgin olive oil (2) over high heat. When the foam subsides, add in half of the meat.
- Saute/fry, tossing, till browned all over, about 5 min. With a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to the liquid in the casserole. Repeat with the remaining meat. In the same skillet, saute/fry the reserved vegetables till browned, about 7 min. Transfer the vegetables to the casserole. Add in the mushrooms to the skillet. Saute/fry till lightly browned, about 5 min; set aside. Stir the tomato paste into the casserole. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Reduce the heat to very low and simmer, skimming occasionally, till the meat is very tender, 3 1/2 to 4 hrs. Stir in salt and pepper to taste, the mushrooms, and the orange zest and juice. Throw away the cheesecloth bag of cloves and peppercorns. (The recipe can be prepated 2 to 3 days ahead and refrigerated. Reheat before serving.) Serve with potatoes, rice, or possibly pasta, and with the same wine used in cooking, a sturdy red wine.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 410g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 439||60%|
|Total Fat 48.85g||61%|
|Saturated Fat 20.15g||81%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 9.89g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.4g||8%|